Thursday, December 30, 2010

Homemade BBQ sauce & meatballs

My lovely KitchenAid mixer came with a little cookbook so I decided to try out a few of the recipes this morning.  Tomorrow my husband and I are heading over to a friends' place for a New Years Eve celebration and I signed up to bring meatballs to contribute to the evening of appetizers (Yum! My Fav!).  Both the sauce and the balls turned out great (I made a few minor modifications to the recipes).  I will definitely keep this recipe on hand!
BBQ Sauce
1 1/4 c brown sugar
1 c ketchup
1 tbsp dry mustard
2 tbsp Worcestershire
2 tbsp vinegar
1 c strong coffee (I used instant and it worked perfectly!)
1 med onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Combine everything in a saucepan over medium heat for 30 minutes.  Stir occasionally. Remove and either pour over meatballs (or any meat dish), or store in a container in the fridge until you want to use it. SO GOOD!

Balls of Meat
1 - 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I used lean)
2 egg yolks
1/3 c dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (fresh or the Kraft stuff)
2 tsp dried parsley (or 1 tbsp fresh parsley)
1/2 tsp garlic powder 
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 pepper
1/4 c olive oil
*BBQ sauce


Mix everything except the olive oil (either by hand or with mixer on speed two with flat beater) until everything is mixed up.  Form into 1 inch balls and fry in olive oil until well browned (I did this in a covered skillet for about 5 minutes on each side).  Transfer balls to paper towel and blot off excess oil.  Pour on BBQ sauce and serve.  I made them a day ahead of time and will warm them up on the stove top tomorrow before serving.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can attest to the fact that these meatballs are very tasty, afterall I think I single-handedly ate about 9 of them. I just wanted to make sure I was getting a good enough sample to make sure.

JILL said...

Only true friends do that. Thank you! :) xo