Thursday, December 23, 2010

Chocolate Coconut Macaroons

I'm new to the coconut scene.  Actually, let me correct myself.  I'm familiar with the alcoholic beverage coconut scene along with the coconut scent scene but I've never been a huge fan of the texture of coconut.  My husband on the other hand, is a huge fan.  I've attempted macaroons once before I wasn't overly thrilled with the final product.  Today, I'm going to give it another try with a completely different recipe, and if all goes well I'll be delivering them to my husband at work to share with his colleagues.  I could really get use to this whole not working thing...

2 hour time laps: The verdict - meh, they are ok.  I'm totally that girl who judges a book by its' cover and in turn judges food by its' appearance.  Macaroons aren't the prettiest looking cookie. The visual fix: add more coconut to hold them together better. 
Ingredients
4 ounces semi sweet chocolate, chopped (each square of bakers chocolate is 1 ounce)
3 large egg whites
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups sweetened coconut, shredded or flaked (I'd up the coconut to 3 cups!)

Method
In a double-boiler, over simmering water, melt the chocolate. Set aside. (I don't own a double boiler so I use a large pot with boil water and submerse a small pot with chocolate in it.  Stir frequently). Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, cocoa powder, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract. Stir in the coconut and melted chocolate, making sure the coconut is well coated. Cover and refrigerate for about one hour, or until firm. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or grease). Place heaping tablespoons of the batter on baking sheet, spacing several inches apart. Bake for about 15 minutes or until the macaroons are shiny. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
Makes about 16 large or 24 small macaroons

No comments: