Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Low Fat Roasted Garlic Fettuccine Alfredo

I'm convinced that I'm a blonde hair, blue eyed Italian.  I adore pizza, pasta and more importantly, red vino.  I enjoy cooking a lot more when I have someone providing me an general idea as inspiration.  My husband is usually that person (lucky guy!).  As per his request, I created a 'creamy pasta' recipe tonight.  Around here, the holiday season is filled with many yummy indulgences, so I decided to create a low fat version of a cream sauce.  To be honest, I didn't think this was going to be blog worthy since low-fat often translates to 'low-in-flavour-crap'.  I've been proven wrong. Cheers to pasta!

Ingredients
1/2 box Smart Fettuccine pasta (pasta with added fibre)
1 large chicken breast, cubed
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 bulb garlic, roasted (see below for recipe)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 c chicken stock
1/2 c 1% milk (or whatever you have in the fridge)
1/2 c low fat sour cream
1/2 c light Parmesan cheese
dash of dried sage
1 tbsp flour
2 tbsp cold water
1-2 cups of broccoli or asparagus 

Roasted Garlic
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Cut top off bulb of garlic.  Drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place top back on and wrap in foil.  Cook in oven for 25 minutes. Once done, open foil to let garlic cool. Once cooled, squeeze garlic cloves out from the bulb.  With a fork, smush cloves into a paste.  Set aside.

Pasta & Sauce
Boil pasta. In a skillet, over medium heat add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/4 cup water.  Add chicken cubes and cover.  Cook until chicken is cooked thoroughly, about 10 minutes.  Discard any remaining liquid.  Set chicken aside.  Rinse skillet.  Add onion and chicken stock.  Simmer until onions are tender (ew, I hate that word).  Add milk, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, broccoli, salt, pepper and sage. Heat through.  Add chicken, roasted garlic paste and the 1 tbsp of flour mixed with 2 tbsp of cold water (this will thicken the sauce up).  Add cooked pasta.  Toss and serve.  A very good cream sauce without the use of butter or cream! YIPPEE!  I will definitely use this again.

 

1 comment:

sugarplum14 said...

This looks super yummy!