Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Morning Cheese Bread

When Nana came to visit our family while I was growing up this meant that the famous cheese bread would be making a brief appearance in our breadbox.  I say brief because it would literally last one morning.  My brother and I would eat slice after slice until we overdosed on it.  Now that my beautiful, ninety-four and a half year old Nana is living in a retirement home she doesn't have the luxury of baking her famous cheese bread any longer.  Christmas morning just wouldn't be the same without it, so I decided to bake two loaves this morning to take to my Mother's place for Christmas.  For those of you who don't bake, please don't be intimidated.  Making homemade bread is actually much easier then baking cookies.  Thank you Nana for this recipe!

Ingredients  
1 1/3 c warm water + 1 tbsp
1 1/4 c shredded cheese (I used medium cheddar)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 shredded Parmesan cheese (I used monetary jack cheese since I had some leftover)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp active dry yeast (or one of those little packets)

Method
In a large bowl, add warm water, sugar and yeast.  Let work for 10 minutes.  Add 2 cups of flour, salt, both cheeses and baking powder. Mix well.  Gradually add remaining flour and knead until dough is soft.  Place dough on lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.  Place dough in greased bowl, turn over once and cover with towel in a warm place and let rise for one hour.  punch dough down, knead lightly and divide into two.  Flatten dough to about one inch thick and roll up so that its' length is about the same length as your bread pan.  Pinch seam together and place seam side down in greased bread pans. Cover with a towel and let rise for one more hour.  Preheat over to 375 degrees F.  Paint one raw egg on the top of dough.  Bake for 30 minutes.  After about 15 minutes you can cover with foil so the tops don't burn.  Hope you like it!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Jill, I've been dying to try to make bread and I think I'm totally going to give your Nana's recipe a try! Thanks!!
Nicole

JILL said...

Nicole,
This bread isn't a high rising bread, so it's quite dense. It's SO tasty though. Great toasted with butter :) Hope you like it!

xo JILL