Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My happy place...

I'm currently in my happy place.  Not that I don't absolutely love being a high school teacher, however this time off is beyond blissful.  I'm sitting here beside a roaring fire in the wood stove, sipping on a hazelnut coffee, cooking up a storm in my kitchen and I couldn't be happier (well, maybe if I were on the beach down south with a margarita in my hand....).  I always make time to put together homemade meals but it's nice to have the time to fully enjoy the process.  Today I'm working on a huge batch of chili to freeze for future lunches and dinners on those days I don't have time for homemade cooking.  I'm looking forward to the day when we have space for a nice big deep freeze!  This recipe has been adapted from my Mother's classic chili.  I hope you like it - it's a great 'comfort' meal for these cold, winter nights.  

2 lbs of ground chicken (no need to use beef as this has a tonne of flavour!)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 tbsp Worcestershire
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp Tabasco
2 bay leaves
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato pasta sauce (or crushed tomatoes)
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (beans have a tonne of added salt so be sure to rinse well!)
1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
*to add more nutritional value, add a half package frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained.
*My husband and I love spice - if you don't, limit or eliminated tabasco and red pepper flakes.

In a fry pan over medium heat, cook ground chicken all the way through.  Transfer to a large crock pot and add all remaining ingredients.  Cook on high for 3-4 hours, stirring every so often. Remove bay leaves.  Serve in a bread bowl on on its' own.  Enjoy!
   

No comments: