Saturday, October 9, 2010

Reality Check.

I firmly believe that there certain people who come into our lives to teach us lessons that we otherwise wouldn't experience.  This year I have a student that has done just that in 5 short weeks.  This particular student is likely the most positive student I've taught.  He comes into class, smiling, chatting and contributes so positively to the overall classroom atmosphere.  In the last year this student has undergone 3 brain surgeries, has lost his sight entirely and missed his first year of high school.  He has integrated so seamlessly into my cooking class that I often forget that he is visually impaired.  He has taught me that no matter how crappy my day is I always have a reason to smile and should always try to project positivity. 

Yesterday this student told me that he spent last Thanksgiving in the hospital. After our apple crisp cooking lab he told me that he was going to make one to drop off at the hospital on Saturday for their Thanksgiving meal.  I couldn't resist doing the same.  Today I spend the morning cooking a giant batch of garlic mashed potatoes to take to the Children's Hospital.  I swung by a local farm and purchased a cherry pie on my way to deliver the 'goods'.  Today I learned another valuable lesson - - I am so very grateful for health, family and friendship.  Far too often we seem to get wrapped up in the overwhelming feeling of family gatherings that we forget the point of them.  They aren't meant to be stressful, an inconvenience and a pain in our ass.  They are meant to be a time of love, bonding and happiness.  So the next time you are feeling like the last thing you want to do is get together 4 times over with family on the holidays think of the children that I saw today at the hospital who are unable to pull a chair up to a table covered with delicious home cooking that is surrounded by the love of family this Thanksgiving.

To everyone who is reading this, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families xoxo

...since this is technically a cooking blog and not 'Jill's rant & rave blog' I suppose I should include a recipe. 

Garlic Mashed Potatoes: This is a giant batch that will serve 10+

1 bag of white potatoes, 3/4 peeled and cubed (leave some skin on for added texture)
1/2 container of light cream cheese
3/4 c 5% sour cream
1/4 c butter
1/4 - 1/2 c milk (depending on how smooth you like 'em)
4 cloves garlic, minced
salt & pepper

Boil potatoes until tender.  Drain and return to pot.  Add remaining ingredients and whip with electric mixer until desired consistency.  Enjoy!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how true - yea sometimes I think a family gathering should just be PB & J - heck with all the prep and stress -
That really brings it all into perspective - when you bring a gift of good food to those who are in the hospital. That was so great of you.

Be thankful - and I'll be thankful
I enjoy your blog - don't always comment -
I liked your pork roast with syrup and mustard - yum,
~Nina

Anonymous said...

Oh Jill,

As I swallow the lump in my throat I am also smiling that I have a friend like you. You are just as wonderful and inspirational as your student. I'm so glad he rubbed off on you and even more hopeful that you continue to rub off on me.

Laura

Anonymous said...

Jill, I am very proud of you. You have done a wonderful, kind, thoughtful and fulfilling thing with your potatoes. I, for one, can vouch for the deliciousness of them (is there such a word??)but more than the flavour of them,this type of deal is what is really meaningful in life. You are amazing.

Your loving Mom xxx000