Sunday, October 3, 2010

2 weeks later...

I'm not entirely sure if anyone other than my Mother visits my blog on a regular basis, regardless, my apologies for the lack of posts over the last two weeks.  As I anticipated, being back in the classroom teaching has limited my time on the computer.  This coming week I will be tied up every evening so tonight was the night to put together a home cooked, warm meal on a cold, damp fall evening. The menu - crock pot beef ribs, scalloped potatoes and home grown sweet corn that we froze back in the summer.  Dessert?  Probably a giant glass of red :)
Scalloped Potatoes
6 Yukon Gold potatoes
1 small onion (I used red tonight since I don't have anything else)
1/4 c butter
1/3 c flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 1/2 c milk

In sauce pan melt butter over medium heat.  Add flour, salt, pepper and thyme and stir.  Gradually whisk in milk. Cook, whisking constantly for 6 minutes until boiling and thickened.  The bottom burns quickly so be certain to keep stirring.  Set aside.

Peel and thinly slice potatoes.  Arrange 1/3 in a layer in greased casserole dish (with lid!), spread 1/2 of the onions over top, repeats layers.  Pour sauce over top.  Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.  Remove lid after and hour and cook for another 30 minutes or until lightly browned and potatoes are tender.  Let stand a few minutes before serving.  You could also add grated cheese during the last 30 minutes for a cheesy version.  ENJOY!

2 comments:

Jen Omstead said...

yes others look at this lovely and interesting blog xoxoxo you are wonderful at everything that you do!!! FOR REAL!!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I read it, too! I'm trying the cookies this weekend :)