Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Basic Baba Ganoush

This past weekend I contributed to 4 different Thanksgiving meals.  I am now sporting a nice blister on my right index finger from all the peeling, mashing and chopping.  I decided to take something a little different to our largest family gathering on Saturday, where there were about 50 people in attendance.  Hardcore eh? :)  All the basics were covered so I decided on an appetizer of sliced fresh baguettes, homemade hummus (previously posted), oil bread dip and baba ganoush.  They were all a hit!  Here is the very basic Baba Ganoush recipe that I threw together.

1 medium egg plant
1/4 container light cream cheese
1/2 c 5% sour cream
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp lemon juice concentrate
1 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper 

Pierce eggplant a few times with fork and put on baking sheet.  Cook for 35 minutes at 400 degrees, rotating every 10 minutes.  Place eggplant in a bowl of cold water and peel skin off.  Squeeze some of the moisture out before tossing into a food processor.  Add all remaining ingredients.  Pulse until desired consistency.  Add more sour scream if you like it creamier (that's what she said).  Chill for at least three hours.  Serve as a dip. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Linda Campbell said...

I so wish I had seen this yesterday when I had an eggplant from the farmer's market that I was trying to figure out what to do with! This sounds amazing and now I have to go find another eggplant. LOL!