Sunday, July 3, 2011

Steak Sandwiches

I planned my meal last night around the kaisers I was talking about in my previous post.  I was half way through preparing it before I realized the buns were completely mouldy. I ripped through the freezer and found some marble rye bread. A steak sandwich wouldn't be much of a meal without bread. This recipe creation earned a "tastes like restaurant" review from both my husband and myself.  I will be adding this recipe to my regulars for sure!

Yields: 2 large sandwiches

Ingredients
2 steaks, thinly sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 large mushrooms, slices (optional)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup red wine
1 beef bouillon cube
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Swiss cheese, sliced
4 pieces rye bread (or two buns)

Method
Warm olive oil over medium heat in a skillet.  Add steak and cook until almost all red is gone.  Add onion and continue cooking until beef is cooked through.  Add remaining ingredients (except cheese and bread).  Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Put steak on top of each slice of bread. Cover with Swiss cheese. Put on cookie sheet and bake for 7 minutes.  Remove and form sandwiches.  If you like them crunchier put in oven for 4 additional minutes after you've smacked the two pieces together.  Serve juice from skillet on the side as a dip for sandwiches.    

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DEAREST COOKING WITH MODESTY

I MUST SAY, I AM ADDICTED TO THIS MEAL. I CAN'T HELP BUT EAT AS I'M COOKING. I'VE BEEN LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS MEAL ALL DAY!

YOU ARE WONDERFUL! KEEP UP THE FANTASTIC WORK! :)

JILL said...

THANK YOU! It is one of our favs too! So yummy :) xo