Friday, July 1, 2011

Raspberry Yogurt Muffins

I've been pretty brutal at posting on here for the last two months but with the time I have off this summer I will be able to cook, bake and post more frequently.  The last two months of school were a whirlwind, and although I'm somewhat sad that it's over I'm in desperate need of some refueling time. Summer, here I come!

My first summertime post: Raspberry yogurt muffins.  I never mess around with baking recipes but this morning I was feeling a little bad ass (My God I live on the edge, eh?).  I reviewed a few recipes and made some healthy modifications and created my own.  My husband and I just sampled them while sipping on starbucks out in the sun of our backyard...and now he's washing my car! Ah, it can't get better then this :)
Ingredients
cup white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce 
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fat-free yogurt (any kind!)
1 egg (I used the whole thing but I'm sure you could use the white only)
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries 

Method
Preheat oven to 400°.  Grease muffin tray. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well. In another bowl, whisk together orange juice, apple sauce, vanilla extract, yogurt and egg. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened (ewww). Fold in berries. Spoon into muffin cups. Bake at 400º for about 20 minutes, or until golden.

Yields: 12 muffins

No comments: