Saturday, July 2, 2011

Local

Buying local foods makes me happy for a few reason.  Since I have become apart of the farming community I am much more aware and appreciative of where my food comes from. Local usually means fresher, little to zero additives/preservatives, tastier and lets face it, it feels wonderful to support those in our community. I was thrilled to find a local bakery selling their products at a grocery store I visit regularly.  Spicers is a family owned bakery that sells amazingly delicious items. Definitely worth the drive to Port Stanley, Aylmer and most recently, St. Thomas for their cookies and cupcakes. Only bummer is they mould much quicker then products with preservatives in them so make sure you keep them in your fridge to extend their life, especially in this humidity.  I was half way through preparing dinner before I realized that the kaisers I needed were speckled with green dots.  Dammit.  Onto plan B....      


Good Things Grow in Ontario

Look for the Foodland Ontario symbol when you're shopping. It's an easy way for you to identify Ontario foods in grocery stores, farmers' markets, and on-farm markets.

(www.foodland.gov.on.ca)

No comments: