Saturday, July 16, 2011

Honey Garlic Chicken in the Crock Pot

Anything cooked in a crock pot is a-ok with me.  The prep time is usually under 5 minutes and meat, for the most part turns out so tender.  This time around I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs however next time I use this recipe I going to try chicken breasts because they are much leaner.  They won`t be as tender as the thighs but if it will help with my waistline, I`m game.  I served this over a very small portion of jasmine rice.  It was delish!  It made enough for leftovers --  BOOYA!


Ingredients
1 package skinless, boneless chicken thighs (there were 6 in mine)
3 tablespoons ketchup
1/4 cup honey (try the local stuff! Clovermead has an amazing selection)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (or apple, orange or pineapple juice)
4 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon ginger root, very finely minced (optional - - I love ginger!)
2 tablespoons corn starch (to thicken it up)
1/4 cup water

Method
Mix all that stuff together in a crock pot.  Cook on high for 4 hours.  Serve over rice with a side of veggies.


Cooking Hint: my sister-in-laws boyfriend who is pretty much my brother-in-law is an amazing cook and got me hooked on preminced jarred garlic.  It saves SO much time.  You end up having to use a little more since the flavour isn't as intense but it truly makes cooking much quicker.  The jumbo jars can be purchased at Costco and your regular grocery store.

No comments: