Monday, July 18, 2011

Sole with White Wine Sauce & Roasted Asparagus

From discussions with my friends I have discovered that I am the only one on the planet that doesn't plan out my meals for the week.  I'm more of a spur-of-the-moment type when it comes to my cooking.  I like to pull a few items from the fridge and go from there.  For me, it promotes variety and creativity when I cook.  Over the last year of writing this blog I have tried over 100 new recipes and my husband has branched out of his the meat and potatoes box he used to live in. YA FOR US! For now this method works for me but when little munchkins eventually come into the picture I'm sure I'll like the structure of having the weekly meals planned out.



I am proud to say that by noon yesterday I knew what I was cooking last night. 6 hours ahead of time! Now that's progress.  Sole in an herb white wine sauce served with roasted asparagus and red pepper.


Yields: 2-4 servings (depending on the size of fillets)

Ingredients
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 cup white wine
1 lemon, (1/2 juiced and 1/2 sliced)
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1/4 cup capers, roughly chopped (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon of a combo of dried herbs (basil, rosemary, oregano, basil, dill etc.)
4 sole fillets

Method
Combine everything except fish and lemon slices in a skillet over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer about 8 minutes. Pour into a bowl and set aside.  In the same skillet over medium-high heat add 3 tablespoons sauce. Season both sides of fillets with salt and pepper. Arrange fillets and lemon slices in skillet. Cook until fillets are golden, about 4 minutes per side. Plate and pour sauce over fish. Serve with roasted asparagus.

Roasted Asparagus
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Place asparagus in a oven safe dish.  Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar over top.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Cook for 10 minutes, flipping once half way through.  ENJOY!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sick, I love 'spar gus.'

GL