Saturday, January 22, 2011

wine-ohhhh! (that's what she said)

On Thursday I taught my last three lessons of semester one, which meant it was time to celebrate!!  I headed to the grocery store, grabbed some fresh PEI muscles then onto the LCBO and 'accidentally' purchased 4 bottles of wine. I wasn't alone in my intense urge to sip on some amazing red wine.  I ran into another teacher doing the same thing - Phew!  Once home I filled a glass with 'Open', a Cab, Merlot blend from the Niagara region that I've never tried.  It was amazing; likely the reason why I didn't get to blogging this recipe that night... 

Anyway, I made a bed of fettuccini noodles and muscles simmered in a white wine, garlic sauce.  Cooking with white wine produces the most amazing aroma ever! Yum!  This recipe is for one, since my husband doesn't eat shellfish.  Simply double if you are making it for two.  Hope you like it!

Ingredients
1 - 2 lb fresh muscles (depending on if its an entire meal, or a side)
2 medium tomatoes, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 - 1 1/2 dry white wine
1/4 c frozen chopped spinach, thawed (optional)
a few pinches cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dried parsley
salt & pepper to taste
fresh Parmesan, grated

Method
Soak muscles in cold water for 10 minutes.  discard the muscles that aren't closed all the way.  In a large saucepan, over medium heat, warm olive oil.  Add garlic, onion, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and parsley and cook for a few minutes.  Turn heat up slightly and add tomatoes, spinach and wine.  Simmer for about 3 minutes to cook out some of the alcohol. Add muscles and cover for 7 minutes, until muscles open up.  If any of them don't open, discard them.  I served over a bed of fettuccini, sprinkled with fresh Parmesan cheese.  I would have preferred to serve in a bowl with a few slices of french bread, as the pasta was too bland.      

2 comments:

Jinny McCreary said...

Jill, as I read this, my mouth is watering. This is one of my absolute favourites. I am sure you enjoyed it but what did Eric eat? He needs to give it a try. It is beyond heavenly.

Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Yea the other day I found at the fish dept at local groc. store fresh shelled mussels - they are great and quick to use for your recipe.
I'm going to see if they have that wine 'Open' down here.
Thanks for the recommendation.
~nina