Saturday, January 8, 2011

Quick & Easy (that's what she said) Mini Quiche

When I finally arrived home from work last night I couldn't face putting together a home cooked meal so we opted to go out for dinner to The Keg.  That place is hands down, my favourite restaurant.  The atmosphere, service, food and wine always exceeds my expectations.Typically after a stressful day I find relief in preparing a nice meal.  Not last night!  I woke up this morning refreshed and with an itch to create something new for breakfast.  I decided to whip up some mini quiches.  I have to admit, I cheated.  I used prepared tart shells.  Meh, oh well! The great thing about quiche (and omelets) is that you customize them to you.  I ended up putting tomato in half of them since my husband in not a fan.  They turned out great! Here is what I did.

Ingredients
12 prepared tarts shells
3 eggs
2 tbsp minced red onion (or regular)
1/2 medium tomato, diced (if you are putting in all 12 quiche use a whole one)
1/2 c broccoli, stems removed, diced
1/2 c assorted cheese, grated (I used fresh Parmesan, medium Cheddar and Havarti)
salt & pepper to taste

Method
Thaw prepared shells for 10 minutes at room temperature.  Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl with a fork until egg is frothy.  The more air you add to the egg, the fluffier the quiche will be. Put shells on a baking sheet and fill with egg mixture.  Leave some room for the egg to rise. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.  Serve warm with chili sauce or on there own.  ENJOY!

Future modifications:  Next time I'm going to make my own shells.  I'd also like to make 3 or 4 different kinds to add more variety (using spinach, cubed ham, asparagus, etc.)

1 comment:

Jinny McCreary said...

Jill, I will cook almost anything but I will not do my own pastry. It causes me too much frustration so if you decide to do your own, you truly are a goddess. These sound wonderful. If you find that teaching becomes boring, you can always be a food writer.

I love you very much,
Mom