Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A case of the chills...time for Stew!

Heating our home with wood definitely has its benefits, however when I arrive home after a long day at work to a cold house those benefits don't seem so clear anymore.  The perfect solution for a case of the chills - - homemade beef stew.  I didn't follow a recipe and just started throwing items in a pot.  I inhaled a bowl and am very happy with the final product.  Hope you like it too!

Ingredients
2 carrots, peeled & chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled & cubed
1 onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 package stewing beef, cubed
1/2 tsp sage
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp basil
2 tsp oregano
1 1/2 cups chicken stock (adjust amount depending on desired soupiness- hm, I think I made that word up)

Method
Using a large saucepan, over medium heat, brown meat with onion, garlic and all spices/herbs. Stir frequently.  Before meat is cooked all the way through, add everything else.  Cover and simmer for 1.5 hours. I didn't have to add flour to thicken it because I cooked it along enough that the starch from the potatoes thickened it up a little.  Serve with a warm, fresh dinner roll. Enjoy!

No comments: