Tuesday, January 25, 2011

No wait pizza dough

Our last food lab for my Food & Nutrition students was homemade pizza.  Pizza happens to be my favourite food - coincidence?  I think not!  Oh, the joys of being a teacher!  My students were beyond excited about this lab because non of them had made homemade dough before. This is a very basic dough that requires no rising time.  Even after smelling pizza all day on Thursday and Friday I was still craving to make it myself at home, so the hubby and I made it for dinner tonight.  His side: MEAT, My side: VEGGIES & HOT PEPPERS! 

Ingredients
3/4 c warm water (NOT cold, NOT hot!)
1 package active dry yeast
1 tsp sugar
3/4 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c white flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp yellow cornmeal
1 tbsp olive oil
*cornmeal to sprinkle 

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Lightly oil a pizza pan.  In a small bowl mix warm water, yeast and sugar.  Let sit for 5 minutes. Stir once.  In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt and cornmeal.  Add yeast mixture and olive oil and knead into a smooth dough, about 10 minutes.  Sprinkle a work surface with cornmeal and roll out dough to fit on pizza pan.  Crimp edges, spread on a can of pizza sauce and add your favourite toppings.  Paint olive oil and garlic powder over crust. Bake 10-15 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there Jill! I am currently trying your yet-to-be-published recipe for whole wheat pizza dough and will be eating it for dinner tomorrow night. Thanks for the great recipe ideas, so inspiring.