Sunday, January 9, 2011

Flour Tortillas & Burrito Filling

Over the last few years I've been trying to move away from processed foods. Don't get me wrong, every now and then I really enjoy premade meals like a frozen pizza or Kraft Dinner.  I'm the first to admit that prepared foods are convenient and sometimes yummy, but home cooking is economically and nutritionally wise and often tastes far better then the packaged stuff.  It blows my mind when I read the ingredient lists of certain foods.  A rule I teach my nutrition students is if you can't pronounce it, try to avoid it.

One item that I always purchase without thinking twice is flour tortillas for fajitas, burritos and tacos, but tonight I decided to make my own.  A lot of packaged bread products (muffins, wraps, etc.) have preservative and a ridiculous amount of fat to extend their shelf life and keep them soft and looking pretty. When you make items at home you know exactly what it is you are eating and often the sodium and fat content is far lower.   These tortillas turned out great!  Super easy and only four ingredients.
Yields: 8 large tortillas

Ingredients
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm water

Method
In stand mixer with dough hook, combine all ingredients and mix on speed 2 until it forms a dough (or mix with wooden spoon in bowl).  Roll dough into a big ball and take about an 2 inch pieces off (for large size tortilla).  On a floured surface using a rolling pin, roll dough pieces into circles.  Cook on stove top over medium heat in an ungreased skillet until there are little brown specks.  Flip and do the same on the other side.  Fill tortillas with whatever you like!  Make a wrap sandwich, tacos, fajitas or a yummy crepe style dessert.  We made chicken burritos.  See below for recipe.

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tomato
1/2 can refried beans
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup water
*sour cream, grated cheese, lettuce and salsa for on top

Method
Cook chicken cubes over medium heat in a skillet until cooked through.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Serve on homemade tortillas and top with sour cream, cheese, lettuce and salsa if desired.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am definitely going to try this, they look tasty

Jen Omstead said...

yummmm xo

Anonymous said...

Hey there Jill, we finally tried making these today and they are SO GOOD! We used whole wheat flour which was the only difference... but they were so great, I can't even compare the difference between store-bought tortillas and these, they are really delicious... maybe even Jillicious? I can't help myself.

JILL said...

Jenny,
I'm so glad you liked them. I agree - far better than store bought ones. So much fresher and real tasting. xo
jt

Katie said...

Hi JIll

I am trying this recipe this week- Ill let you know how it goes ;)