Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Classroom fun!

There are only 4 more days of classes before we are into exams, so this week I wanted to do a fun activity with my incredible Parenting class.  I had to come up with a creative, no-cook food lab that would be suitable for little kids to make, while being nutritious.  Kiddie kabobs and fruit sushi it is!  My students were very pleased with the outcome. 

Kiddie Kabobs:
You will need cubed cheese, turkey kielbasa, green pepper and whole cherry tomatoes.  Using wooden skewers, alternate each item until it's full.  ENJOY! (This picture is of one of my students creations)

Fruit Sushi:
Spread peanut butter, honey, jam or nutella over a large whole wheat wrap.  Thinly layer slices of banana and strawberries over top.  Roll up tightly adding peanut butter (or whatever you used) to the seam to act as "glue".  Slice into sushi sized pieces.  ENJOY!

2 comments:

Jinny McCreary said...

OMG Jill!! I can use both these recipes--Kiddie Kabobs and Fruit Sushi (minus the peanut butter) for my special needs Life Skills class and cook book. I have made the kabobs but had to do it dairy/pork free. You are totally awesome!!

Love you,
Mom

Leilea said...

made this for my daughter , she loved it , it will now be a staple for lunch/ snack!...'
Leilea:)