Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins with Flax

I mentioned a few posts ago I've been working on preparing some easy to grab food for the 7 days. I made a batch of muffins to have for breakfast or for quick, easy snacks. I used the muffin recipe from a couple of weeks ago and substituted the apple sauce for overly ripe bananas that I had hanging around my kitchen.  I wasn't sure how it would work out but it did! So if you are like my husband and are in love with spreadsheets banana muffins you should definitely give this recipe a try.  I'm also going to suggest using all whole wheat flour instead of half white, half whole wheat just to up the nutrition anti a bit more.  Here is the updated recipe. Enjoy!

Yield: 12 muffins

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 tablespoons ground flax seeds (optional)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
 2 smallish overly ripe bananas, smushed (that's a word, right?)
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 - 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (depending on how chocolaty you like 'em)

Method
In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar. Mix in egg and vanilla. Add bananas. Slowly add dry ingredients followed by the chocolate chips. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin tin. Bake at 350° for 21-24 minutes. Make sure you let them cool before taking them out of the tin.

No comments: