Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ham & Cheese Scalloped Potatoes

The smell and taste of scalloped potatoes always takes me back to my childhood best friend's house.  Growing up we'd spend hours together and in turn eat many meals together.  We still, to this day remain the best of friends despite us living in two different countries.  This past November i flew down to visit her new son (who I fell instantly in love with).  While visiting, I was invited to a family dinner at her parents house where the famous scalloped potatoes were served and quickly inhaled. YUM!  I've never managed to make a batch quite like her mothers.  I've realized that even if I used the exact recipe it will never taste the same because its' who makes the scalloped potatoes and who I used to eat it with that I love so much.  As I prepared this meal this morning I thought of my second family whom I love and miss dearly. 

I ended up creating this recipe myself. I included ham in it so it was more of a one dish meal instead of a side.  You can omit the ham and serve with pork chops or another entree of choice.  This dish can be prepared a day ahead of time and popped in the oven when needed.  Hope you like it!

Ingredients
5 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 cup grated cheese (I used a combo of a few but mostly old cheddar)
1 1/4 cup skim milk
5 green onions, chopped
 1 large onion, halved and sliced
1 cup cooked ham, cubed (small)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp butter (cubed to add to top after everything is layered)

Method
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Layer each item in a shallow bake proof dish with lid.  top with butter cubes.  Cook for 30 minutes with the lid on.  Remove lid and cook for 30 more minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are so sweet. Your second family loves you too. I try and make my mom's recipe and can't get it right either. I'm going to try this recipe though. It sounds yummy. Love you xoxo Ang