Saturday, March 12, 2011

Carrot Cake

Carrot cake has never been my cup of tea however I had leftover cream cheese icing from brunch on the weekend that I couldn't face tossing.  I've never made carrot cake before and I'm so glad I did.  Turns out I really DO like it.  I guess I just don't like the gross raisin packed store bought carrot cake.  Here is the recipe I used.  I didn't alter anything except for the yield and ended up halving the below recipe.  The cream cheese icing can be found on my cinnamon bun post.  Enjoy!

Ingredients

4 eggs
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil (next time I'd like to try unsweetened homemade apple sauce)
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots
1 cup chopped pecans

MethodPreheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in carrots. Fold in pecans. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.

No comments: