Thursday, March 17, 2011

Broccoli & Cheddar Soup

If you haven't noticed already I like to rip recipes off from restaurants.  I'm a jerk like that. If I order something that I really enjoy I always try to make an equally tasty dish at home.  Today's rip off recipe: Kelsey's Broccoli and Cheddar soup. I didn't use any cream, only 1% milk with cornstarch and it turned out VERY GOOD!

Yields 6 servings

Ingredients
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock (that's 2 bouillon cubes mixed with 4 cups of water)
4 cups of broccoli, finely chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cups of milk
4 tbsp cornstarch added to 1/4 cup of cold water
2 cups of shredded cheddar
1 tsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
Method
Saute onions for 2 minutes in olive oil. Add stock, oregano, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Add broccoli and cook until broccoli is almost cooked, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add milk, return soup to a boil.  As soon as it starts to boil, add cornstarch (mix it with 1/4 cup cold water to avoid lumping). Stir constantly, scraping the bottom of the pot, until the soup thickens. Once thickened, remove from heat immediately, and stir in half the cheese, melting into the soup. Sprinkle the second cup of cheese on tops of the bowls of soup.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is Dana & Gavin's sister-in-law....also Jill;) This is my fav soup - will be giving this a try. Thanks!

JILL said...

Hello Dana & Jill!

Glad to hear that you visit the blog :) Makes writing it alittle easier knowing there are people reading it! Hope you like the soup. I sure did!

Cheers,
Jill

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill

This is one of my favorites as well. Just recently ran into your blog via this recipe. Will be bookmarking and browsing through for more :)

Made the soup earlier this evening for the parents and it was a hit! I even had to have seconds!

I did substitute the 1% milk with cream.

Thanks and take care,
Mike.