Monday, March 14, 2011

French Onion Soup

I find that more often then not recipes are far more complex then they need to be.  I think that's what intimidates people the most about cooking - all the steps.  Here is a very simple and delicious french onion soup recipe that I whipped together for lunch.
*keeping a package of chicken and beef bouillon cubes on hand in the pantry has been so helpful for me as many recipes call for stock.

Yield: 4 bowls

Ingredients
1 tbsp butter
1 large onion, halved and sliced
1 teaspoon flour
2 beef or chicken bouillon cubes (or 4 cups chicken or beef stock)
4 cups water
salt & pepper to taste
4 slices bread (I used white rye but french would be the best)
3/4 cup grated cheese (I used fresh Parmesan and mozzarella)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

Method
In a large pot over medium heat melt butter.  Add onions and cook for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.  Add flour and stir.  Pour in water with the dissolved bouillon cubes and salt and pepper.  Simmer for 7ish minutes.  in the meantime, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pour soup into 4 oven safe bowls (I got mine from dollarama).  Top with bread that has Dijon mustard spread on it.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Bake for 10-15 minutes.  Serve!

No comments: