Friday, September 3, 2010

Homemade Hot Peppers Poppers

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!
I guess I can't call them poppers if they aren't stuffed and don't actually 'pop' in your mouth (that's what she said). How about 'Open Faced Stuffed Peppers'? Meh - who cares....
As promised here is my hot pepper creation that I put together this morning in preparation for my Mother's Birthday celebration with the family tonight. I cooked up a test one to make sure they were tasty and am extremely happy with the outcome. I prepared the remainder and put them in the fridge until the fam arrive, at which time I'll toss them in the oven. I will be serving them before we head out to have a lobster dinner on the beach. YUM! (Fingers crossed the rain holds off). Since my brother has a gluten allergy I made this without breadcrumbs. This recipe could also be altered to be vegetarian. Hope you like it!

8 hot peppers
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp olive oil
1 artichoke heart, minced
1/2 container light cream cheese
4 strips of bacon, precooked (or slices of Cheddar cheese or olives for a vegetarian option)

Cook bacon, set asside. Cut hot peppers in half length wise and remove all seeds. Rinse peppers thoroughly (and wash your hands VERY well!). In a bowl combine all ingredients except peppers and bacon. Fill hot pepper halves with cream cheese mixture (not too much or it will be messy). Top with a 1/3 strip of cooked bacon. Put on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving. ***My peppers weren't spicy at all because I removed the seeds and rinsed. Hot factor will depend on the type of peppers you are using. Jalapenos will have more kick.

1 comment:

Jinny said...

These little yummies were just great. We all thoroughly enjoyed them but my son Andrew and myself, burned our thumbs while eating them.It was worth the pain.Eric would not try them because he hates peppers. It was a lovely prelude to diving into a lobster at G.T.'s in Port Stanley. I have given birth to a culinary goddess!!
WHAT A LOVELY BIRTHDAY MY KIDS GAVE ME. THEY ARE THE BEST.
Love Mom/Jinny