Tuesday, September 14, 2010

15 minute Garlic Shrimp Rice Bowl

Tonight I was looking for something quick to make for dinner, preferably something that didn't produce a ton of dishes. I've had a craving for shrimp for the last few days so thought I'd use some of the frozen precooked shrimp taking up space in our freezer. I was pleased with the outcome of this make-it-up-as-you-go creation. This yields two servings.

2 servings of cooked basmati rice (I cooked 1 c rice in 1 1/2 c of water which gave me leftovers for lunch tomorrow)
4 large mushrooms, quartered
20 frozen, devained, precooked shrimp
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
1 tsp dried parsley
1 large tomato, diced (you could also use 1/2 c of canned diced tomatoes)

Put rice on to cook. Thaw shrimp under water. Remove tails. Warm olive oil over med heat in fry pan. Add salt, garlic, hot pepper flakes and parsley. Let cook for a few minutes. Add shrimp, mushrooms, butter and tomato. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over warm rice.
*** I wish I had white wine on hand for this recipe because I think it would have added more to it. If you have white wine kicking around add a 1/2 cup after your garlic has browned slightly.

No comments: