Saturday, August 28, 2010

Peach Cobbler

The Ontario peaches this year have been like no other. I bought far too many of them last week and haven't been able to eat them all. They started to go a little soft (that's what she said), so I decided to make a peach cobbler. Here is the recipe I followed - - I ended up halfing it. The hubby just sampled it and gave double thumbs up which means blog worthy!

7 cups sliced, pitted and peeled peaches
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp lemon juice
Biscuit Topping
1 c flour
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1/4 cup butter, cold
Biscuit Flavouring
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 c buttermilk (I never have buttermilk on hand so I just put a splash of lemon juice in milk & let sit for a few mins)

In large bowl, gently toss peaches with sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Scrape into 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Biscuit Topping: In bowl, whisk together flour; sugar; baking powder; baking soda and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until crumbly (I used my hands!).

Biscuit Flavouring:In measuring cup, stir vanilla into buttermilk; drizzle over flour mixture, stirring with fork to form soft, sticky dough. With spoon, drop dough in 9 evenly spaced mounds over fruit.

Bake in 400°F (200°C) oven for about 35 minutes or until bubbly and topping is light golden and no longer doughy underneath when lifted with spoon.

3 comments:

Jinny McCreary said...

Looks good Jill. You are such a terrific wife and Eric, you are a tremendous recipe tester!!

Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill - I like you rarely have buttermilk on hand - but every once in a while I'll buy a liter/quart and then separate it into small 1/2 c. jars and freeze for later use - otherwise it eventually molds over and then thats that - ugh.
Our peaches in CT have not been as good as yours - such is life - But I'll use some other fruit and the same topping and give it a go
Thanks.
Nina

Anonymous said...

I respect the "that's what she said" mention. Well played.