Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fresh Basil Sauce


My beautiful, thoughtful Mother brought me a luscious, fregrant basil plant when she came to visit last week. Tuesday nights are soccer nights for my husband so I wanted to make a nice light meal. I created a basil sauce and poured it over chicken breast and served with corn and edamame. The sauce was great - the lemon added a great punch of flavour that complimented the basil. It would be perfect over pasta, perhaps with some cherry tomatoes.


4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2/3 c olive oil
3 tbsp lemon juice from concentrate
1/2 tsp cummin
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 c lightly packed fresh basil leaves (YUMMMMY!)
2 cloves of clove garlic
1 tsp grated lemon zest

Whisk 1/3 cup of oil, 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice, cumin, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Pour into a ziplock. Add chicken and seal bag. Massage the marinade into the chicken. Refrigerate at least 30 mins (the longer, the better - I let them sit for two hours). Turn chicken occasionally. Meanwhile, blend the basil, garlic, lemon zest, remaining 1/4 cup lemon juice, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a blender until smooth. Gradually blend in the remaining 1/3 cup oil. If desired season with additional salt and pepper.

Remove chicken from ziplock. Discard remaining marinade. Cook chicken at 375 for 25 minutes in a shallow dish, uncovered. Pour basil sauce over cooked chicken breasts. Serve. Enjoy the taste and aroma! Nothing beats fresh herbs...

2 comments:

Jinny said...

This looks yummy Jill. I will give it a try with my bumper crop of basil this year. My big question however is--where do you get etamame out of the shells like you served with dinner? I am very excited about that. (I need to get a life obviously.)

Love you lots,
Mom

Jill said...

President's Choice - freezer section. :) Enjoy!