Monday, August 9, 2010

Bran Muffins


Food and romance go hand-in-hand don't they? Well then, lets talk romance. Just as I was dozing off last night my husband turned to me and said..."Could you maybe make me some yummy breakfast muffins tomorrow?" I couldn't help it but laugh. I think he is enjoying this blog more than I am!

I decided to make a half dozen plain bran muffins and the other half dozen with fresh Ontario blueberries. The blueberries make the muffins a little too moist (ugh, I hate that word), but add a lovely sweetness to them. The more moist (ewww), the muffins, the quicker they become moldy. Make sure to store blueberry muffins in the fridge. I was happy with the way they turned out. Great for a breakfast on the go!

1 1/2 c wheat bran
1 cup milk
1/3 c vegetable oil (or 1/3 c unsweetened apple sauce)
1 egg (or 2 egg whites)
2/3 c brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 c all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins or blueberries or chocolate chips (optional)
Yields: 1 dozen
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease muffin cups. Mix together wheat bran and milk; let stand for 10 minutes. Beat together oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and add to milk/bran mixture. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture into milk mixture, until just blended. Fold in raisins/berries/chocolate chips and spoon batter into prepared muffin tins. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool and enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely delicious and very, very moist. I really enjoyed them Jill and you are such a good wife.

I love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

i wish I could cook like you, in fact im going to try, your my new hero!
Leilea:)