Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Golden Zucchini



I love this time of year - the sunshine, the smiles and the abundance of fresh local produce at our fingertips! My Mother-in-law has a fabulous vegetable garden that puts mine to shame. Every summer she graciously gives us unlimited zucchini. She also came up with a yummy way to cook it. This recipe is great as a side dish or an entree. Tonight my husband and I enjoyed it as an item on our appetizer tray. About once a month we make a platter of nibble foods that we change up every time we make it(veggies, cheeses, spring rolls, shrimp etc.). It's one of my fav meals!


1 beaten egg
1/2 c bread crumbs
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp Montreal steak spice
1 large zucchini
2 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
ranch dressing for dipping

Beat egg, set aside. Combine bread crumbs, chili powder, steak spice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Slice zucchini very thick (3/4 of an inch). Dip each slice in egg then cover in bread crumb mixture. Place in large fry pan with hot olive oil. Cook over medium heat until golden brown. Serve with ranch dressing for dipping.


My husband is obsessed with steak spice so that is why I include it in my recipe. The great thing about this recipe is you can substitute the spices to vary the flavour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill - Those Z. things sound yummy. Yea Brian likes to use Mtl steak seas. on all sorts of things as well - it is a good versatile seas.
I just checked out your other fav. blog - Crafty Biatch - I'll be interested to see how she makes her head board.
Well keep up the great work.
Nina