Sunday, January 27, 2013

Hangover Potato Soup

Borrowed from here
Last night my husband and I might have gotten carried away at my sister-in-laws Stag and Doe.  And by might I mean, we absolutely did. Once the bottle hits my lips...Anyway, our 'condition' this morning has changed from rough, to great, to so-so, back to rough in a matter of minutes.  My husband slowly dragged his feet back up stairs to bed because a delayed hangover bitch slapped him straight across the face. As I sat here staring at the TV not able to process anything on the screen I decided that soup was going to be my only saving grace today. Soup with bacon and cheese. Yes, that was going to make it all better. It only took about 30 minutes total including prep to dishes and everything in between. Now I sit here with a delish bowl of red potato soup and I'm starting to rebound for the third time today.  Typically, cream based soups are made with a shitload of butter and heavy cream but I figured the bacon and cheese would be enough so I used 1% milk and cornstarch to thicken it up. I am really happy with the results of this make shift, rushed recipe.  I adapted this recipe and also 'borrowed' their picture because I couldn't get my shit together to take a picture today. Too much effort. I will absolutely be using this recipe again. Hope you like it!

Yields: 1 large pot of soup (about 8 servings)

Ingredients
8 medium red potatoes, washed and cubed (peels on!)
1 large onion, diced (I used red but use whatever you have)
5 strips bacon, cubed
4 cups milk
2 cups water
3 chicken bouillon cubes
3 tablespoons corn starch mixed with 1/4 cup of cold water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
grated old cheddar cheese to garnish
sliced green onion to garnish (if you are fancy like that)

Method
Wash potatoes and cut into bit sized cubes.  Toss into a large pot and boil until tender.  In the meantime dice up onion and bacon and cook in a fry pan over medium heat until onions are translucent and bacon is cooked through.  Do not drain fat. Drain potatoes and return to large pot.  Transfer bacon and onion to potatoes and add remaining ingredients except cheese and green onion. Simmer soup for 15 minutes. If you want your soup thicker, add more cornstarch mixed with cold water to it. Serve in bowls with cheese and green onion on top. Enjoy!

No comments: