Friday, January 4, 2013

Basic Quinoa Salad

I've had a cup of uncooked quinoa hanging out in my cupboard for months.  Every time I see it I think 'hmmm I should make something with that', and toss it to the back of the cupboard. A few days ago I reorganized my cupboards and found the quinoa sitting there...staring at me...all like 'you're lazy. Just make me.' Lets just say the guilt trip worked.  Now I have about 4 premade lunches. Woot woot.  You can add any of your favourite things to this salad but this is the stuff I had hanging around my house. Enjoy!

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
1 1/2 cups water
dash of each cumin, garlic powder, coriander, and Cayenne pepper
1 cup corn (canned, fresh or frozen - thawed out)
1 cup black beans, rinsed
1/4 red onion, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
splash red wine vinegar
juice from 1/2 lime (or 1 teaspoon lime concentrate)
1/4 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

Method
After thoroughly rinsing quinoa toss in a medium pot and add water, cumin, garlic powder, coriander, and Cayenne pepper.  Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.  Deduce to low and simmer for 14 minutes.  Do not open the lid!  After 14 minutes turn heat off and keep pot on burner for 10 more minutes. Do not open the lid!  After the resting time remove lid and add remaining ingredients.  Mix thoroughly.  Serve warm or chilled. Yummy!

No comments: