Sunday, January 13, 2013

Healthy-ish Squares

My husband is a sucker for baked goods, especially if they have coconut in them so I decided to make coconut cranberry oat squares for an easy to grab snack or breakfast.  While I love to bake I hate that recipes yield enough to feed a family of 76.  These bad boys freeze well so I pre-cut them and tossed them in to freezer so we can take them out one at a time. I adapted a recipe that we use at work for my Food and Nutrition students by decreasing the amount of butter and substituting for greek yogurt.  Here it is...Enjoy!

Yield: 12 bars
Ingredients
1/3 cup soft butter
1/3 cup yogurt (I used fat free vanilla Greek yogurt)

1 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup slivered almonds
½ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup raisins or chopped dried apricots
½ cup sweetened shredded coconut

Method

Grease a rectangular cake pan (I used my misto!) In a large bowl using the electric mixer, beat butter with brown sugar until fluffy.  Beat in egg, yogurt and vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk together rolled oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in almonds, cranberries, raisins /apricots and coconut. Fold flour mixture into the butter mixture. Spread evenly in the pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before cutting into bars.

No comments: