Sunday, October 30, 2011

Pumpkin Seeds X 3

2009
I love the holidays and all of the traditions that go along with them.  From decorating the Christmas tree to big family meals to carving pumpkins at Halloween, I love it all!  As mentioned here, I'm not particularly good at paying attention to fine detail, so when it comes time to carve pumpkins they end up looking like a 4 year old designed them.  Here is the proof...
2008
2007 (Mine is on the left...)
2011
This year my husband and I carved a pumpkin together (usually we each have our own).  My role was designer and seed baker, his was carver.  This is the design I came up with. Oh jeez! Ok, enough with pointing out things I'm terrible at and onto something that I can sometimes pull off. Cooking!  Our locally grown pumpkin was jammed full of large, lovely looking seeds that were just asking to be roasted.  I decided to make three different flavours; salty, sweet and savoury.

Method for all seeds:
Rinse seeds thoroughly with warm water and remove pumpkin gunk.  Spread seeds on a paper towel to absorb excess water. Put in a bowl and add 1 teaspoon of melted butter for ever 1 cup of pumpkin seeds.  Toss until covered. Add your chosen flavouring and toss again.  Sprinkle on cookie sheet in a single layer and cook at 300 degrees and bake 45-60 minutes, flipping once half way through.
Salty:
Add salt to taste, you could even throw in some pepper too.

Sweet:
1 tablespoon sugar
a sprinkle of cinnamon, nutmeg & clove (to taste)
Savoury:
splash of Worcestershire sauce
a sprinkle of garlic powder, Cayenne pepper and salt (to taste)

No comments: