Saturday, October 22, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

Cranky Pants

This afternoon was spent helping my husband drag trees out of the bush that will be used to heat our house this winter.  Although it ended up being a beautiful day I wasn't feeling it, I ended up putting my Cranky Pants on this morning.  Now that I'm home I feel the need to bake an "I'm sorry for being a grumpster" treat for my patient hubby. Hope he likes it.  I had 4 overly ripe bananas that I wanted to use up and couldn't face making another loaf of banana bread. I spent a few minutes looking around the Internet for inspiration and found a good looking recipe that I ended up modifying a bit.  I haven't sampled it yet but it certainly smells DELISH! I will let you know shorty how it turned out. *turned out good!  Next time I'll bake in a rectangular dish so it comes out thinner.

Batter Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large very ripe bananas
3 tablespoons coffee cream, milk or buttermilk...whatever you have :) 

Crumble Ingredients
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips (about 8 ounces)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all of the crumble ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Using a stand or hand mixer cream sugar, butter and egg until fluffy. Add bananas and milk/cream and continuing mixing.  Add flour, salt, baking power and baking soda and mix until everything it is blended well.  In a greased rectangular baking pan pour in half of the batter.  Sprinkle with half the crumble mixture. Repeat with remaining batter and crumble. Bake 45 minutes or until centre is cooked through.

3 comments:

Me said...

How did this turn out?? It sounds totally relish!

Me said...

Delish......

JILL said...

It was pretty good. Eric ate the entire thing except for a piece that I tried. I'm sort of sick of banana stuff right now though. Next time I will make in a rectangular dish so it isn't as thick.