Saturday, October 8, 2011

Autumn Soup; bunny style

We planted our veggie garden very late this year since we were anticipating a move over the summer (wishful thinking!) so our carrots are finally ready to be pulled (that's what she said).  I decided to make another pureed soup and opted for straight up carrot. Ya, I live on the edge like that.  Both my husband and I have a slight gag reflex when it comes to cooked carrots so I was crossing my fingers that this soup wasn't going to have the same flavour.  Mission accomplished!  The soup turned out great and only took about 35-40 minutes, start to finish. 

Yields: 1 big pot of soup - probably 12 servings

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter/marg
10-15 decent sized carrots, peeled and chopped
2 small onion, chopped
1 medium potato (optional - I added it to thicken up the soup with its' natural starch)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
4 cups water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
*or instead of the water and cubes, add 4 cups of stock
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Method
In a large pot over medium heat melt butter and add garlic and onion.  Once onion goes clearish (about 4 minutes) add the carrots, potatoes and wine.  Simmer for 5 minutes until the alcohol is cooked off.  Add water, cubes and pepper.  Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.  Transfer in batches to food processor.  Puree and serve.  YUM!

No comments: