Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pumpkin Pie

Judging by today's weather you wouldn't know that Fall has already arrived which means Thanksgiving is just around the corner. Can I get a "Booya!".  I love the time spent with family and friends, delicious home cooking, autumn colours and the crisp fall air.  What I don't like is that harvest time on the farm always, without fail, falls on the long weekend.  I am heading to my hometown this weekend and unfortunately the hubinator is unable to join in the festivities.  Can I get a "bru-tal". Since he won't be around to enjoy the awesomeness that is Thanksgiving dinner I felt sorry for the sucker.  I am in charge of making dessert; pumpkin and mile high apple pie.  I'm not one for pies but my husband is die hard so I felt sorry for him when I was whipping up the pumpkin pie... so I made two.  Yes, that is correct, my husband got his very own Thanksgiving pie.  He better be damn Thankful...

Yields: 2 nine inch pies

FYI: I used premade, frozen crusts - I'm a cheater.  Tomorrow I am making homemade pastry for my mile high apple pie and will post when I have a few minutes.

Ingredients
1 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (425 ml)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
2 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 can carnation evaporated milk

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees C.  Whisk together all ingredients except evaporated milk.  Once everything is thoroughly mixed, slowly mix in milk.  Pour mixture into pie crusts.  Cook for 65 minutes on bottom rack.

No comments: