Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Shepherd's Pie

I'm one of 'those people'.  You know, the one's who like to mix all their food together on their plate? Yup, that's me.  I don't care if my pasta touches the Caesar salad, or if I get gravy on my peas.  One dish meals, in my opinion, are fan-freakin-tastic.  I've made Shepherd's pie once in my life, and if I'm being honest, it was balls.  Tonight was attempt number 2 with a different recipe (a combo of 5 different recipes I found) and SUCCESS!  I'm pumped to have a lot of leftovers for lunches.

Ingredients
4 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed
1 package extra lean ground beef
1 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 onion, diced
splash olive oil
1 cup stock (chicken, beef or vegetable)
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tsp Worcestershire
1/2 c cheese, grated (I used mostly old Cheddar and a little fresh Parmesan)
sprinkle of garlic powder
1 tsp butter
2 tbsp flour

Method
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Peel, wash, chop and boil potatoes.  While they cook, add onion to a frying pan with the olive oil.  Cook until onions are clear. Add beef.  Cook until browned. Add flour and stir.  Add stock, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.  Mix and cook for three minutes.  Spread beef mixture on bottom of oven safe dish. Throw carrots and peas in microwave for 4 minutes. Spread them over the beef.  Once potatoes are soft, drain them and add butter, salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Beat with electric mixer.  Spread on top of peas and carrots.  Sprinkle grated cheese on top.  Bake for 15 minutes uncovered.  Broil on high for 2 minutes.  Serve! 
Serves 6 people

No comments: