Saturday, February 5, 2011

Flu & Food.

I cheated. Again. But I have an excuse...

My husband just finished battling a bout of the stomach flu. I called home when I left work to see if he wanted me to grab anything he said "Chinese food". Hmm, ok - interesting choice after upchucking all day.  I didn't think Chinese take-out would mix very well with the stomach flu (MSG, grease etc.) so I decided to stop by the grocery store and grab some ingredients to make our own Chinese food.  The cheating part...packaged seasoning and frozen spring rolls.  I feel guilty.... but because of this I was able to whip up a 'homecooked' Chinese meal for the hungry hubster in a half hour.  Although the packaged seasoning was good, the sodium content was too high for my liking.  Next time I make Chinese food I will be making my own seasoning. The menu: beef and broccoli, chicken fried rice and shrimp spring rolls.  Although I used some processed items I'm fairly confident that my meal was far healthier and fresher than takeout.  My husband even said that he much preferred my rice to the takeout kind. Brownie points for both of us.

Beef & Broccoli Ingredients
1 package Beef & Broccoli seasoning
2 quick fry beef steaks (very thin!), cubed
1/2 onion, chopped
3/4 head of broccoli, chopped

Method
Over medium heat cook beef on frying pan until almost browned.  Add onion. Cook 3 minutes.  Add broccoli and cook until desired crispiness.  Add seasoning mixture (with correct amount of water and soy sauce) and cook for 2 minutes.  Serve immediately. 

Chicken Fried Rice Ingredients
1 package fried rice seasoning
2 cups cooked rice (whatever your favourite kind is. I used Basmati - YUM!)
1 chicken breast, cubed
splash of olive oil
2 eggs, beaten (that's what she said)
3 green onions, sliced (I used diced onion because I didn't have green - green would have been better)
1/2 c frozen peas
1/2 celery, chopped
2 tbsp soy sauce

Method
Cook up your rice. Set aside.  Over medium heat, cook chicken breast in a splash of olive oil in a large fry pan until no longer pink.  Add onion, peas and celery.  Push to side of pan. Pour beaten eggs on empty side of pan.  Break into tiny pieces as it cooks.  Add rice to pan and mix everything together.  Sprinkle on fried rice seasoning and add soy sauce.  Mix thoroughly.  Serve.


No comments: