Wednesday, February 23, 2011

first time meatloaf.

Meatloaf isn't something I grew up eating so its never been on my radar.  I decided to give it a try tonight and it turns out meatloaf isn't as nasty as it sounds.  Why couldn't it have a prettier sounding name though?  Tourtiere really got the better part of that deal.  This took about 5 minutes to prep - a really simple recipe.

Ingredients
1.5 lbs (about 0.65 kgs) extra lean ground beef (or ground chicken)
1 package onion soup mix
1/2 onion, diced (I didn't put this in but wish I had)
1 egg
1/2 c bread crumbs
3/4 c milk
pepper to taste
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/3 cup ketchup

Method
Mix everything except brown sugar and ketchup together in stand mixer. Transfer to loaf pan. Mix remaining ingredients together and pour on top.  Cook at 350 for 1 hr 10 minutes or until no longer pink on the inside.  Serve with a salad to counteract the meatiness.

No comments: