Monday, September 15, 2014

Sleep Training Update

A week and a half ago I wrote a post about peanuts sleep regression and thought I would provide you with an update. Things couldn't be better! I honestly didn't think I would be writing a positive update when I originally wrote the sleep regression post. While we were making headway at that point I was still skeptical that it would actually work longer than a night or two. We are 14 nights in and peanut is doing amazing. At the 7 night mark she totally got it. Again, I wanted to mention that it took longer then normal because we were teaching her how to sleep without a swaddle as well. Peanut now falls asleep within 5 minutes on her own with very minimal fussing (usually) and is sleeping 11-12 hours straight and now naps for up to 2 hours at a time (sometimes its 30 mins still). She also discovered that she prefers to sleep on her tummy, which gave me a panic attack the first night (I was up every hour to check on her) but she sleeps so much more soundly now that she has found her 'sweet spot'. Her mood is drastically better throughout the day and is even enjoying car rides, walks and now jogs in the stroller. Because she is getting a good amount of sleep she has figured out a nap routine for herself. The only bummer is if we don't adhere to that nap routine she gets pretty cranky, pretty fast which was demonstrated this weekend while visiting Gramma and Grandpa. We are napping three times a day but I've read that around the 6-7 month mark babies tend to drop their third nap so we will see how that goes over the next month or so. Here is the routine that peanut seems to jive with the best;

Wake: 11-12 hours after going to bed
Nap #1: 1 hour 15 minutes after waking
Nap #2: 2.5 hours after waking from nap #1
Nap #3: 2 hours after waking from nap #2
Bath time: 7:00pm
Bed time: 7:30pm

It is so nice to finally feel like we have the nap situation under control and a happy baby. We are spending more time at home and doing quick little outings to make sure we are home for nap time but that's ok with me. We need to put in the time to establish a good routine. All in all, my husband and I are extremely happy that we decided to sleep train our daughter. Some people won't agree with that we did, but that's something I'm willing to live with. She's happier, is getting more sleep and we have given her the tools to be able to fall asleep comfortably on her own which will be useful in the years to come. Everyone wins!

No comments: