Saturday, January 10, 2015

Muffins for Babies

It's hard to believe another year has come and gone and the holiday season is over. For obvious reasons 2014 was one of our best years to date. My husband had nearly two weeks off over the break so we had a ton of family time. We hosted a family chili/games night, Christmas dinner, and a pizza night for our friends so there wasn't much time for writing. This morning I decided to get my butt in gear and share some recipes I've made over the last few weeks.

Like her Mama, Peanut loves her carbs. She eats whole wheat bread and cheerios like they are going out of style but I wanted something a little more wholesome to give her on a regular basis. I read a bunch of recipes for baby friendly muffins online but didn't find anything that had all of the ingredients that I wanted to include so I made up my own. I rarely risk doing that for baking, but I gave it a go. The results were great! I tried a muffin - they aren't sweet at all, but that was the point. Peanut devoured them and Hope your little one loves them too. I should mention that I rip the muffin up into bite-sized pieces since she is only 9 months old.

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
3 large or 5 small apples, peeled & grated (OR 3 overly ripe bananas)
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup milk
1 egg

Method
In a bowl using a wooden spoon mix up all dry ingredients. Add all remaining ingredients and stir until just combined. Don't over mix. Spoon into heavily greased muffin tin and bake at 350 degrees for 16-18 minutes. Because there is no grease in this recipe I would avoid using muffin liners since this will likely stick a lot. Happy eating baby!



 

No comments: