Saturday, January 17, 2015

Pot Roast...?!

Is it weird that I've never made a pot roast? I've had pot roast before and I'm going to be honest -- I'm not a fan (Sorry Mom!). To me it always seemed way too dry and just not all that satisfying (that's what she said). I had a roast in the freezer and decided to live it up and give pot roasting a try myself. Ya, I'm wild like that. I found a great tutorial here and used the recipe with a few minor adjustments. I don't usually use multistep recipes that require, what's the word?.... ah yes, effort. It was worth it though because the roast turned out super tender and we really liked it. As you can see in the picture, I used squash instead of a lot of carrots and this was a mistake. The squash was too mushy. Stick with the carrots -- next time I will add parsnips too.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 lb beef pot roast
salt & pepper to taste
8 carrots, peeled and chunked
2 onions, peeled and quartered
1 cup red wine
2 cups beef stock
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon rosemary

Method
In a dutch oven over medium/high heat warm 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Toss in onions, carrots, rosemary and thyme (be careful, oil will spit!) and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring once. Don't stir too much because you want some brown yummy goodness to crustify on the bottom on the pan. Once veggies and pan have both browned a bit remove veggies. Season roast generously with salt and pepper and put into pan. Brown each side of the roast for about 1 minute each. Remove meat. Pour red wine into pan and using a wooden spoon stir and scrape that brown yummy crustified goodness off the bottom, about 2 minutes. Pour in beef stock. Add meat and veggies back to the dutch oven and cover and transfer to preheated oven (275 degrees) for 3 hours. Do not open dutch oven during the time. Just let it do it's thing. Cook. Cook. Cook. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes. Yum
.

No comments: