Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Eggnog Cookies

I've had it on ice, mixed with spiced rum and even cut with milk but I just can't bring myself to like eggnog. I found a recipe on Pinterest the other day for eggnog cookies and icing - hmmm, this sounded like it could possibly be something I could enjoy. Probably more so if I added rum to them. Yes, great idea Jill. Spiced rum it is. As a non-eggnog lover I can confidently say that these cookies are delish, regardless if you like The Nog or not. After sampling one (see pic below) I put the cookies in the freezer without icing because I wasn't sure how they would freeze and thaw with icing on top. I froze the icing on the side and will ice them closer to Christmas when company arrives and when I won't dominate them entirely on my own. Here is my adapted recipe. Hope you like 'em too!

That awkward time I iced one cookie to try and
forgot to take a pic until after I bit it. My bad.
Cookie Ingredients
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoons nutmeg, plus more for topping
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup eggnog

Icing Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3-4 tablespoons eggnog 
1 tablespoon spiced rum (optional)
3 cups powdered sugar

Cookie Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. In the stand mixer bowl cream butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy. Mix in egg yolks then add vanilla extract and egg nog. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Roll dough in tablespoon size (should take about 32 cookies) and flatten with a flour bottom cup. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until bottom starts to golden. Don't over cook! Cool completely then ice with Eggnog icing and sprinkle tops lightly with nutmeg.  
 
Eggnog Icing Method 
In the bowl of an stand mixer whip butter until very pale and fluffy. Add in rum and eggnog and mix in powdered sugar. Add additional eggnog or powdered sugar to reach desired consistency.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Going to my friend's Holiday Cookie Swap that has been going on for many years. I've looking for a recipe that was new, different and yummy. And your recipe is the winner. Thank you. great.

Nina said...

that comment was from me. - Nina