Sunday, November 3, 2013

Mini Pumpkin Scones

Ever notice that Pinterest lies sometimes?! If you don't know what I mean check out this hilarious website. I was so frustrated last week when I decided to make these delicious looking pumpkin cookies and they ended up not being cookies at all (1st world problems...).  In my opinion cookies are suppose to be dense, rich, crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I knew as I was mixing the 'dough' that these weren't going to be cookies since the 'dough' was actually a batter. Dammit again. The silver lining is that I ended up altering the recipe on the fly and it wasn't a completely flop. Thank God because the original recipe yielded 60 freakin' cookies, which turned out to be 60 tasty mini pumpkin scones. My husband and I ended up having to take a bunch to work just to get rid of them and they were a hit. Here is the cookie scone recipe that I altered. Enjoy!

Yield: 24
Ingredients
1 cup butter, softened not melted
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon making soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 1/2 cups flour

Icing
1/4 cup butter, softened not melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
splash of vanilla
1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar

Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With a stand mixer or electric mixer cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Add egg and vanilla and mix. Sprinkle in baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin and continue to mix until combined. On low, slowly add flour a little at a time until combined. Do not over mix. Drop by tablespoon onto a ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. *these aren't pretty looking scones until you ice them since it's difficult to shape batter.

Icing Method
Using a stand mixer or electric mixer combine butter, brown sugar, milk and vanilla.  Once mixed slowly add powdered sugar.  To thicken icing simply add more powered sugar.  Do not ice scones until they are completely cooled.  I learned this the hard way...story of my life! Sprinkle with cinnamon to making them look Purdy.

No comments: