Thursday, August 2, 2012

Beer Can BBQ Chicken

I sometimes wonder why I never decided to become a vegetarian.  I hate working with raw meat, I don't enjoy what I like to call 'weird' meats such as rabbit, lamb or venison, and I don't like eating meat with bones in it (that's what she said).  But the second I smell a burger on the BBQ or a pull pork simmering in the crock pot I realize that vegetarianism just isn't in my future.  This past weekend certainly tested my meat eating ways. My husband and I visited an old university friend and his family in Quebec at his newly established family egg farm.  I toured the property, helped sort eggs and checked out a barn full of 9,000 laying hens - Holy.Shit - I didn't anticipate being so overwhelmed by all the chickens. To say that I had a slight meltdown is somewhat of an understatement. Picture me, in a white skirt with a fedora on standing alone in the corner, shaking in my flip flops, trying not to make eye contact with the chickens. Classic. It appears that I still have some city in me! It was a very eye opening experience. As I ate my hard boiled egg on my spinach salad at lunch I couldn't help it but think of where it might have come from.

Ironic that whole chickens are on crazy sale this week?! hmm. Maybe. Regardless, I snagged one for dinner tonight for only $5.50 and decided on beer can chicken.  While preparing it I managed to only gag ONCE (that's what she said)! Success. As mentioned here, I wear rubber gloves when handling meat because it grosses me out so much. Don't judge. Minus the gaging, this was a super easy meal to prepare. About 3 minutes prep time and 1 hour and 15 minutes cook time. Easy peasy! I served it with broccoli salad. The perfect summer meal.

Ingredients
1 whole chicken
1/2 a can of beer (drink the other half!)
1/4 cup olive oil
your favourite herbs and spices (I used salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, coriander, paprika and garlic powder)

Method
Using a chicken BBQ stand (I think ours is from Canadian Tire - a wedding gift), place beer can in the middle and plop the bird on top. In a small bowl add olive oil, herbs and spice.  Paint onto chicken.  Place on the BBQ for 1 hour 15 minutes on medium-high heat.  It is fully cooked when juices run clear.  Get your farm husband to carve it up so you don't puke and serve with your favourite sides. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Hey Jill,
Just want to point out that you should have put "That's what she said" after the line "I managed to only gag ONCE!"

Love,

Ryan
xoxo

JILL said...

Good point. I like your style. lol

jt