Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Hummus Secret

I love hummus.  You know that, right? I've mentioned it a few times here, here and here.  I love how cheap, easy, tasty and healthy it is. This week I was going through an intense hummus withdrawal from Pita Pita since I'm now on summer break and no longer work around the corner from it. Today I was on a mission to make mine as close to their hummus flavour and texture as possible. With some experimenting I finally figured out the secret -- chick pea juice! Check it!

Ingredients
1 can chick peas, drain and reserve half the juice to add to mixture
1 tablespoon lemon juice concentrate
1/4 cup tahini
1/8 teaspoon (or a pinch) cumin
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
* don't forget to add the liquid!
Method
Toss everything in a food processor and mix on high for at 1-2 minutes. The longer you leave it in the smoother and creamier it will be. Drizzle olive oil on top and serve with warm whole wheat pitas. (Tonight I served with jerk chicken as well! YUM!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Jill
I to know Pita Pita and their hummus is the best. I'm sceptical but optimistic of your claim.

Pita Pita Eata

B said...

Going to try it out tonight! I will let you know how it goes. Missing you tons xoxo