Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dry Jerk Rub & Jamacian BBQ Sauce

I told you here that I would write about the good, the bad, and the ugly when it came to my cooking so here it is. I had very high hopes that my jerk chicken meal was going to be amazing but I ended up burning the shit out of the chicken.  Although the skin/rub of the chicken was charred the chicken was very yummy once the skin was peeled off. It might have been because of the Jamaican BBQ sauce I made to go with it.  In Jamaican the jerk chicken was served with a ridiculously delicious BBQ sauce; the best I've ever had (that's what she said).  My mission is to find this recipe.  I will keep you posted with my progress ... because you care, right?! Humour me...

Dry Rub Ingredients (Yields about 1/2 cup of rub)
1 1/2 tablespoons allspice
6 tablespoons salt
5 tablespoons garlic powder
4 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 tablespoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
4 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Method
Mix all ingredients together in a airtight container. Use about 1 tablespoon for two chicken breasts. Rub the mixture all over entire chicken breasts. I used skin on, bone in which was a great choice because the skin ended up keeping the chicken very moist despite the outside being burnt to a crisp.   Cook over medium heat on the BBQ for 40 minutes (or until juices run clear), turning once every 5 minutes so they don't burn like mine did.

Jamaican BBQ Sauce Ingredients (Yields 2 cups)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup molasses
1 tablespoon lemon juice concentrate
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (if you don't have this, no big deal!)
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Method
In a pot over medium heat warm olive oil and saute onion and jalapenos for 5 minutes. Add everything else and simmer for 10 additional minutes. Throw leftovers in the fridge.

No comments: