Friday, December 16, 2011

Taco Salad

A student suggested that we make taco salad this week for our food lab.  What a great suggestion!  It was a hit.  When I got home tonight I decided to make it for hubster because I knew he would love it.  I didn't have prepackaged taco seasoning or Catalina salad dressing so I made both from scratch.  I also used ground chicken instead of beef.  It turned out GREAT!

Taco Salad
1 Romain heart, chopped
1/4 cup salsa
1/2 cup grated cheese
1/2 lb ground chicken (or beef)
1 huge handful cheese Doritos, crushed
1/2 package taco seasoning *see recipe below for homemade seasoning
1/2 cup water
Catalina dressing to taste *see recipe below for homemade dressing

Cook ground chicken over medium heat until cooked through.  Drain fat if needed.  Add taco seasoning and water.  Simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid is almost gone.  Serve over salad that has been prepared with other toppings.  Enjoy!  My students really enjoyed this meal...so did my husband!

Catalina Dressing
1/4 cup ketchup 
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Splash of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup olive oil 
salt and pepper

Shake together in a mason jar.

Taco Seasoning
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

 

No comments: