Sunday, April 17, 2011

Store bought vs. homemade lasagna

I like to think that I'm pretty good with money.  I'm a conscious shopper and my husband and I try not to purchase things that we don't need.  When it comes to groceries however, I don't think twice.  I always compare unit prices to make sure I'm getting the best deal but I never pull things out of the cart if I think I'm spending too much.  Here's how I justify it: Thankfully for me, my main hobby is cooking so my groceries count as two things; a necessity and entertainment.  If I need it, I buy it.  Frozen lasagna used to be a staple in our freezer.  One small lasagna would provide 4 large servings and cost $9.99.  I've been trying not to purchase prepared, processed meals so I've been avoiding that isle and haven't had  lasagna in a very long time.  I decided to keep track of how much a homemade lasagna would cost to see if it was financially wise to make your own.  Here's the breakdown. 
Frozen lasagna
Price: $9.99
Prep time: 0 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Serves: 4

Homemade lasagna
Price: $14.28 (*for price breakdown see recipe)
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Serves: 6-8

The choice is your.  In my eyes, homemade always trumps convenience foods.  Fresher, healthier, usually cheaper and it's something you can be proud of!   Here is a basic beef lasagna recipe I created.  The hubby and I thought it was pretty Darn good! 

Ingredients
1/2 box oven-ready lasagna noodles ($1.50)
1 container 1% cottage cheese ($3.29)
1 cup mozza cheese, grated ($3.49)
1 package lean ground beef ($3.96) Sub: 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained ($1.99)
1 jar/can pasta sauce ($1.09)
1 onion, chopped ($0.25)
2 cloves garlic, minced ($0.10)
2 tbsp olive oil ($0.10)
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt (all herbs & spices roughly $0.10)
fresh Parmesan cheese to garnish top ($0.40)

Method
In olive oil, over medium heat saute onions, garlic and spices.  Add ground beef and cook until browned.  Pour in pasta sauce and heat until warmed through. In a rectangular glass dish put one layer of noodles down.  Pour a layer of meat sauce over top followed by a layer of cottage cheese and mozza cheese.  Repeat until sauce and cheeses are gone.  Top with grated Parmesan cheese.  Cover with foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes.  Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Me too, I think same and bring homemade lunch/salad to work.
I read every ingredient then opt to make after preservatives and artificials.
Even make my Ranch dressing and pizza from scratch.
But Michael Angelo's 5lb frozen Lasagna with meat sauce is only $15 and delicious.
I would have to buy all your stuff plus ricotta and it always cost $20+.
Thanks, nice blog.

ps yes 5lb is a lot and I'm single. I bake it and have leftovers for long days.

Jenny Fleming said...

I just asked Google for the cost difference. As a single woman on a very tight budget for food buying the frozen lasagna makes sense. Same as a family. However,families should at least make one meal a week from scratch. Just because kids need to learn the basics of cooking. Plus family time is so important.